Tuesday, November 12, 2013

DIY Cake Plate

If you know anything about me, you know that I love.love.love to go junking.  I get a thrill out of going to thrift stores, consignment store, antique stores, yard sales and the occasional dumpster in search for treasures, as I like to call them.  It's kinda sad how giddy I get just thinking about it.

A while back at Goodwill, I happened upon glass candle holder that I could not pass by at a whopping $0.50.  However, I had no intention of using it for it's given purpose.  I planned to make a cake plate with it.  On this trip I also found a cute little glass cloche ($1.00) that I could use as a cover for the cake plate.  All I needed was the perfect plate. 

On one of my trips to Asheville, I stopped by Pier 1 to see what I could find.  After a bit, I found the perfect plate that was neutral enough, yet classy enough to meet my ever-so-picky needs.  I don't remember how much the plate cost, but it was on sale.  Of course.

Move forward approximately six months,  I finally put all the pieces together.  I gave the candle holder, glass cloche and plate a good washing and let it air dry.  Once it dried I adhered the candle holder to the bottom of the plate with Gorilla Glue and let it dry/set overnight. 

Now I have the cutest little cake plate ever and it was made on a dime, of sorts.




  *top of plate*
*Perfect for displaying Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins courtesy of Bethany*

2 comments:

  1. How adorable! I've considered making them in the past, but haven't ever found the perfect pieces for it. Maybe someday. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Rebekah. It took me a while to find the right plate. Then once I had it all together, I kept forgetting to pick up glue when I went to the store. ha!
      You definitely need to do it...I'll be on the look out on your blog for it. :) hehe

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!